Delta Airlines has announced that it will begin charging for a second checked bag for tickets purchased on/after 19 September 2009 and for travel on/after 13 October 2009.
Travellers in Economy class will be charged $50 USD (or equivalent currency) each way for the second checked baggage. This change now aligns the baggage policy for travel between Canada and Europe with the policy for travel between the United States and Europe.
The fees are collected at the airport on a one way basis converted to the currency of the country where travel commences.
Exceptions to the second checked bag fee include:
- First and Business Class passengers
- SkyMiles and WorldPerks Elite members (Platinum, Gold, and Silver)
- Active U.S. duty military members travelling on orders
- Customers who purchased tickets prior to 19 September 2009
- Passengers who are confirmed on a Full Y class Economy ticket
- Passengers travelling from Europe to Mexico, Central America, South America, Caribbean, Australia, Africa, Asia, India and the Middle East.