A ‘no frills’ fare for passengers carrying hand baggage only is being introduced on selected British Airways flights from Gatwick.
The low-cost rates start at £39 one-way to Amsterdam and Turin, £45 to Jersey, £49 for Dubrovnik and £69 to Tunis for flights from 26 February.
The discount compared to fares that include a piece of checked-in luggage varies between £9 and £15 depending on the route, BA said.
The move coincides with the transfer from Heathrow of five Airbus A319s for BA’s Gatwick short-haul fleet.
Frequently asked questions
- How does The Hand Baggage Only fare work?
The Hand Baggage Only fare means passengers bring no hold baggage, but are still able to benefit from BA's hand baggage allowance and take one piece (plus a handbag or laptop bag) onboard. The new Hand Baggage Only fares will be available for selected direct European (including domestic) flights to and from London Gatwick and will start at just £39 one way. These fares will not be available on any flights with connections and may not be used via London Heathrow or London City airports.
- When does Hand Baggage Only start?
Hand Baggage Only fares will go on sale on 19 February 2013 for travel from 26 February 2013 on the following routes: Gatwick to/from Amsterdam, Jersey, Dubrovnik, Turin and Tunis. Other Gatwick shorthaul routes follow at a later stage. The fares apply to shorthaul routes operated by British Airways with a BA flight prefix, and are not available on flights operated by franchise or codeshare partners.
- Does this mean British Airways is charging for bags?
No. British Airways will continue to offer shorthaul economy fares including a checked baggage allowance (1 item at 23kg). Hand Baggage Only fares provide an additional lower cost choice for passengers who do not wish to take checked baggage.
- What is my hand baggage allowance?
All passengers are allowed to carry one item of hand baggage plus a laptop or handbag. A 23kg maximum bag weight applies which means that customers must be able to lift the bag unaided into the overhead lockers. Laptop and handbags should be able to fit underneath the seat in front.
- How do I know what my baggage allowance is?
When purchasing a Hand Baggage Only fare, travel agents will advise passengers of the bag allowance. E-ticket receipts will also show a 0pc baggage allowance.
- Can I purchase Hand Baggage Only fares on longhaul flights?
No these fares are only available on selected shorthaul flights to / from London Gatwick.
- Can I purchase Hand Baggage Only fares from London Heathrow or London City?
No, these fares are exclusively available on selected British Airways flights from London Gatwick.
- Can I purchase Hand Baggage Only fares one-way?
Yes. Hand Baggage Only fares are single trip or return.
- I am travelling out of Gatwick and returning into Heathrow, can I purchase Hand Baggage Only fares?
These fares are only exclusive to passengers travelling to and from London Gatwick on British Airways flights.
- I am connecting from a shorthaul flight to a longhaul flight at Gatwick, can I purchase a Hand Baggage Only fare on the shorthaul sector?
No, these fares are only available on direct journeys.
- I am a Gold Executive Club card holder and normally get an additional baggage allowance when flying in economy, will this apply if I purchase a Hand Baggage Only fare?
No. Gold & Silver customers will continue to have a minimum 2 item baggage allowance when purchasing standard fares (which include a baggage allowance). If a Hand Baggage Only fare is purchased then the zero bag allowance will apply.
- Will I earn Avios/Tier points when purchasing Hand Baggage Only fares?
Yes, Normal Avios/tier points will apply.