From 1 May 2010, British and American citizens visiting Qatar will have to apply for a visa before entry. The new regulations also mean that all passengers wishing to travel to Qatar for business purposes will need to have their visas arranged by a local sponsor, via the Ministry of Interior.
Visas upon arrival
From 1 May 2010 no visas will be issued upon arrival, all passengers (all nationalities) wish to visit Qatar should have a visa in advance.
All passengers wishing to travel for business meeting, consultation, conferences, should contact their sponsor (company brunch, conference organisers) who would be responsible for arranging the required visas through the Qatari Ministry of Interior. This visa can't be issued from the embassy.
Visa is not required if you don't leave the transit area at Qatar international airport, alternatively you have to have a valid visa.
Tourist visa requirements
Please note that from 15 February 2010, all applicants who wish to apply for the Qatari visa should be:
- UK passport holder
- EU Nationals who are resident in the United Kingdom (proof of residency required)
- Other nationals should have a UK work permit or a minimum leave to remain in the United Kingdom of one year.
Please note that the Embassy of the State of Qatar will not process applications for those who are staying in the United Kingdom on tourist, visit, and other short stay visas.
You will be required to submit the following:
- Two original photos (passport size) one attached to the form and the other loose.
- Visa application form to be completed online and then print it and sign it.
- Original passport valid for not less than six months from the date of travel and has at least one blank page.
- Last three months bank statements (original) which must show name, address of the applicant and at least £850 in the account.
- Fees are payable only in postal order only made payable to the Embassy of the State of Qatar only.
- Registered or recorded self-addressed envelope must be supplied for any applications made by post to enable the Visa Section to return the passport. The Embassy will not be responsible for any loss of passport by post.
- Photocopy of the following: bank statement, first page of the passport, residency in the UK.
Learn more on Qatar Embassy in London website